Sunday, November 27, 2011

Blogging about Mental Illness

JT Eberhard has post over on Free Thought blogs about why the skeptic community needs to start dealing with mental illnesses. He's calling on people to blog about their mental illnesses if they have them, or do research and blog on them, so just that it gets out there.

I've blogged before about my mental illness, so I don't have a great deal to say here other than JT Eberhard is a brave, brave man and anyone who's willing to get out there and spread the word and talk about their experiences is a person hero of mine. So go! Get out there, spread the word, let the world know that we're here, and some of us need to be helped. We all need to be respected. We have a right to live a the same life that a neurotypical person lives, without being judged as "lazy" or "demon-possessed" and treated accordingly.

On the subject of my own illness, here's my post:

When I'm long gone, preferably of old age (unless mind uploading gets here first; c'mon baby, I'm holding out for you), I want a tombstone. It doesn't have to be very big, just large enough to fit two words, to stand in stark contrast with the rest of the cemetery:

"Bipolar Survivor."

No comments:

Post a Comment